As the warmer months start to arrive, an increasing number of people look to use their boats, ATVs, and motorcycles after their annual winter break. In this post, we look at the different types of summer insurance you need to consider before you can start to take your trips and start using your recreational vehicles once more.
Insuring a boat for the summer
If you’ve depended on your homeowner’s insurance throughout the cooler months while your boat is stored at home, with summer approaching, it’s time to consider the best coverage for your forthcoming needs.
As you’re probably aware, homeowner’s insurance will not provide you with insurance for a boat while it’s in the water.
Because boat insurance is flexible, there are different types of coverage you can buy to suit your changing needs throughout the year.
If you are only looking to insure a boat during the summer, it’s important to consider all levels of coverage and speak with a local boat insurance agency in person to go through your options.
- Watercraft Liability Insurance – This covers third-party bodily injury and property damage liability needs. If there is a boating incident that you are deemed to be responsible for, you will need this to pay for legal expenses and any other expenses related to damages or injuries sustained.
- Medical Payments Coverage – This covers your own medical costs or any related expenses regardless of fault.
- Property Damage – This is for damages sustained to your own vessel.
- Equipment Coverage – If you’re buying summer insurance for your boat and you’re taking equipment onboard that is not part of the actual boat, then this coverage is worthwhile considering if your equipment is essential or expensive.
- Uninsured and Underinsured Coverage – This covers you in the event you are involved in an accident with another vessel that is either uninsured or which does not have enough coverage to pay for medical and property costs following an incident.
- Emergency Services Coverage – Just like roadside assistance, but for boats. If you’re traveling further than usual this summer, this is a must.
Other considerations may include personal effects coverage, repair cost endorsement coverage, and more.
Regardless of the cost of your vessel, it’s important to choose the right type of summer insurance. Aside from ensuring you have coverage in place to cover your essential liabilities, it can give you peace of mind and more space to enjoy your summertime leisure activities.
At M&P Insurance, we can help you find the best summer boat insurance at the right price. We can also see if you qualify for a discount on your summer boat insurance by reviewing your no claims discount or potentially bundling your coverage with other insurance policies you already hold. Speak with a member of our team today to find out more.
Summer Insurance for Motorcycles
Although most people will typically buy motorcycle insurance to cover their bike all year round, it is possible to get short-term and seasonal coverage that can flex with your needs.
Unlike a car or truck, many motorcyclists tend to use their motorcycles in the warmer months.
For those with leisure bikes or sports motorcycles, the summer opens up a world of opportunities for endless adventures.
Whether you’re going on vacation or even borrowing a friend’s motorcycle for the summer, you need to make sure you have the right coverage in place to protect your motorcycle and yourself while you’re on the open road.
- Seasonal Motorcycle Insurance
This gives you coverage during a specific period of time, and it helps people avoid having to pay out a premium for those months where the motorcycle is not being used. This is also known as 6-month motorcycle insurance and is available from select motorcycle insurers.
- Monthly Motorcycle Insurance
This gives you coverage if you are only planning on driving for a period of a month or less. Many motorcycle insurance providers that offer this type of short-term coverage will give you the option to renew on a month-by-month basis. When you compare the cost of this coverage to other summer motorcycle insurance offerings, for instance, the 6-month or seasonal coverage options, it is only going to be cost-effective if you are planning on using it for a period of fewer than three months.
- Storage Insurance for Motorcycles
If you put your motorcycle into storage for any period of time, it’s vital you ensure it still has some form of insurance in place. This coverage can give you peace of mind that should the bike be stolen or damaged; the bike is protected.
Buying summer insurance via M&P Insurance is easy, and our team will ensure you get the best value for money based on your individual needs. If you’re thinking about buying motorcycle insurance for the summer, please call our friendly team today for a chat about your requirements, or get a personalized recreational vehicle insurance quote.
Summer Insurance for ATVs
The summer is the perfect time of year to get an ATV out of the garage and start having adventures.
Anybody who owns an All-Terrain Vehicle will attest to the fun and excitement it brings.
Getting the right ATV insurance offers peace of mind that you’re covered while on these adventures.
Most standard auto insurance won’t give you coverage for an ATV, and although homeowners insurance could give you partial coverage for some liabilities, a separate ATV insurance policy can give you coverage for your family and friends while also comprehensively covering your vehicle during the more active summer months.
While ATV insurance requirements vary from state to state, it’s vital you get coverage to cover all of your liabilities in full. At M&P insurance, we’re here to help you find the best summer ATV insurance at the right level for your needs.